Shaking Hands

New puzzle time. Mark told me this one a week or two ago, and since he is approximately 90% of my readership I'm not sure why I'm posting it, but here we go:
You and your partner go to a party with N other couples (so there are 2N+2 people in total at this party). At the party people shake hands with other people. No person shakes hands with themselves or with their partner. After the party, you ask each person that was at the party how many different people they shook hands with, and each person gives you a unique answer. How many different people did you shake hands with?

Mark initially asked me this with N=5, and then found it wasn't more interesting to generalize it to N. I will initially ask it with N and find it isn't any more interesting to specify it to 5.

No comments: